DIN Vol. 12

Kathy Matthews matthewk at fly.bio.indiana.edu
Sun Oct 3 19:07:14 EST 1993

                DROSOPHILA INFORMATION NEWSLETTER
                     Volume 12, October 1993

     The Drosophila Information Newsletter has been established
with the hope of providing a timely forum for informal
communication among Drosophila workers. The Newsletter will be
published quarterly and distributed electronically, free of
charge. We will try to strike a balance between maximizing the
useful information included and keeping the format short;
priority will be given to genetic and technical information.
Brevity is essential. If a more lengthy communication is felt to
be of value, the material should be summarized and an address
made available for interested individuals to request more
information. Submitted material will be edited for brevity and
arranged into each issue. Research reports, lengthy items that
cannot be effectively summarized, and material that requires
illustration for clarity should be sent directly to Jim Thompson
(THOMPSON at AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU) for publication in DIS.
Materials appearing in the Newsletter will be reprinted in DIS.
Back issues of DIN are available from FlyBase in the directory
flybase/news or in News/ when accessing FlyBase with Gopher.
Material appearing in the Newsletter may be cited unless
specifically noted otherwise.
     Material for publication should be submitted by e-mail.
Figures and photographs cannot be accepted at present. Send
technical notes to Carl Thummel and all other material to Kathy
Matthews. The e-mail format does not allow special characters to
be included in the text. Both superscripts and subscripts have
been enclosed in square brackets; the difference should be
obvious by context. Bold face, italics, underlining, etc. cannot
be retained. Please keep this in mind when preparing submissions.
To maintain the original format when printing DIN, use Courier
10cpi font on a standard 8.5" x 11" page with 1" margins.
     Drosophila Information Newsletter is a trial effort that
will only succeed if a broad segment of the community
participates. If you have information that would be useful to
your colleagues, please take the time to pass it along.

The editors:
Carl Thummel                            Kathy Matthews
Dept. of Human Genetics                 Dept. of Biology
Eccles Institute - Bldg. 533            Indiana University
University of Utah                      Bloomington, IN 47405
Salt Lake City, UT 84112                812-855-5782; FAX/2577
801-581-2937; FAX/5374                  MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
CTHUMMEL at HMBGMAIL.MED.UTAH.EDU          MATTHEWK at INDIANA.BITNET
***

To add your name to the Newsletter distribution list, send one of
the following E-mail messages from the account at which you wish
to receive DIN.
Via Bitnet --     To: LISTSERV at IUBVM
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name
Via Internet --   To: LISTSERV at IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name
     LISTSERV will extract your user name and node from the E-
mail header and add you to the list. Use your Internet address if
you have one. You will receive confirmation by E-mail if you have
successfully signed on to the list. If you are on the list and do
not wish to receive DIN, or you want to remove a soon-to-be-
defunct address, replace SUB in the above message with UNS. The
SUB command can also be used to correct spelling errors in your
real name; the new entry will simply replace the old as long as
it was sent from the same USERID at NODE address.
***
                  DIN Vol. 12 TABLE OF CONTENTS

     >Introduction to Drosophila Information Newsletter
     >How to subscribe to the Newsletter
>TABLE OF CONTENTS
>ANNOUNCEMENTS
     >Sandler Lecture - Call for nominations
     >Faculty position available
     >Research assistant position available
     >Bloomington Stock Center news
>REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS
     >Ovarian cDNA library and mutants
     >Mutations at 68EF
>MATERIALS AVAILABLE
     >Genetics and Biology of Drosophila vols 3a,b,d,e
>TECHNICAL NOTES
     >Needle sharpening for embryo injections
***
                          ANNOUNCEMENTS

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS - LARRY SANDLER MEMORIAL LECTURE
     We invite the nomination of candidates to present the
seventh Larry Sandler Memorial Lecture at the 1994 Drosophila
Conference. The Sandler Lecture is given on the first night of
the conference; the 1994 conference will be held at the Sheraton-
Chicago Hotel from April 20-24. Any student completing a Ph.D. in
an area of Drosophila research in calendar year 1993 is eligible
and may be nominated by his/her thesis advisor. Past recipients
of this honor are:  Dr. Bruce Edgar (1988), Dr. Kate Harding
(1989), Dr. Michael Dickinson (1990), Dr. Maurice Kernan (1991),
Dr. Doug Kellogg (1992), Dr. David Schneider (1993). The Sandler
Lecturer will be chosen by a committee composed of Andrew Clark,
Ian Duncan, Ruth Lehmann, Don Ready, Barbara Wakimoto and Mariana
Wolfner. Nominations should include a curriculum vita, a thesis
abstract of one or two pages, and a letter of nomination from the
advisor. Nominations should be sent by December 14, 1993 to:
Mariana Wolfner, Section of Genetics and Development, Cornell
University, 423 Biotechnology Bldg., Ithaca NY 14853-2703.
Telephone: (607) 254-4801, FAX: (607) 255-2428.
***

CORNELL UNIVERSITY - SECTION OF GENETICS AND DEVELOPMENT
     Our Section is seeking an ASSISTANT PROFESSOR for a tenure
track position, available in the Fall of 1994. The successful
candidate will be expected to establish a vigorous externally
funded research program in an important area of modern Genetics.
The primary teaching responsibility will be to design and offer a
lecture course in genetic analysis, with emphasis on eukaryotes,
for advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students. We
strongly encourage applications from women and members of
underrepresented minority groups. Applications should include a
curriculum vitae, reprints of recent publications and a brief
statement of present and future research interests. Complete
applications and three letters of recommendation, solicited by
the applicant, should be mailed to: G & D Search Committee, 101
Biotechnology Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
14853-2703. Applications will be reviewed beginning November 15,
1993. Cornell University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer.
***

RESEARCH ASSISTANT POSITION AVAILABLE
     Will assist in genetic analysis of Drosophila mutants
displaying behavioral, developmental, and neurological
phenotypes. Duties will include: maintaining and selecting
Drosophila mutant stocks; performing genetic crosses; isolating
new mutants and establishing stocks. Long term employment
position; candidates with lab experience in genetics will be
given preference. Please send cv to S. Benzer, Division of
Biology 156-29, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125.
***

BLOOMINGTON STOCK CENTER NEWS
     * The Bloomington Stock Center will be closed December 20 -
31, 1993. Large orders received after noon EST on the 9th of
December will not be shipped until the new year due to the high
rate of loss we experience during the Christmas mail crunch.
Smaller orders (our call) received by noon EST on the 16th will
be shipped on the 20th, but we recommend that you avoid ordering
stocks during this period.
     * A new set of ry[+]-marked P insertions from the Drosophila
Genome Center are now available from the Bloomington Stock
Center. Most of these stocks carry lethal inserts on 3; the rest
are male sterile inserts on 2 or 3. All carry the PZ construct. A
list of insertion sites has been posted on bionet.drosophila and
the relevant stock lists on FlyBase (p-list.txt, p-list.rpt, p-
by-location.txt and p-by-location.rpt2) have been updated to
include these stocks.
     * Our P stock stockkeeper, Starr Eck, is recovering from
surgery and is expected to be away for another 3 to 5 weeks.
Requests for more than 50 P stocks at a time will not be filled
until Starr returns to work. If you are interested in receiving
the whole Genome Center set as soon as possible ask to be added
to the waiting list.
     * The set of unlocalized mini-w[+]-marked P inserts from Dan
Lindsley will soon be discarded. If you want any of these stocks
order them now.
     * There is mounting evidence that stocks carrying both hsFLP
and FRTs are unstable. We will soon discard the hsFLP + FRT
stocks from the Xu and Rubin set (Development 117:1223). If you
aren't among the 5,007 people that have already received th