Drosophila experiments- high school/science fair

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Thu Apr 14 13:08:31 EST 1994

When I was in junior high I wanted to do a science
project irradiating fruit flies then breed them for
mutations.  I managed to scrounge some of the bugs
from a hometown university Drosophila scientist
(Sidney Mittler). Then I went to my family dentist
office, where I tried to explain why I wanted them
to X-ray a tube full of bugs.  I got back from the X-ray
technician a nice radiographic film showing the tube
with some smudges that were the bugs, and the vial
of my now dead flies.

I switched to a physics project.

Moral: Make sure your child explains the part
about proper radiation dosages well.

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu