fly genetics coursework

Mark Martin momartin at CHESHIRE.OXY.EDU
Sun Aug 21 16:30:13 EST 1994

Hello!

I am a new adjunct assistant professor at Occidental College in LA (near
Caltech).  Occidental is a private liberal arts undergraduate institution.

This semester, I am teaching a classroom / laboratory course in upper
division genetics (class size of about 15!).  For the first part of the
lab sections, I will be concentrating on molecular microbiology (my
speciality).  However, I wanted to do some eukaryotic (and multicellular)
genetics for the other half of the lab course.

I thought that some clear cut standard experiments in Drosophila genetics
might be just the ticket.

Kathy Matthews in Bloomington suggested that I post to this group for help
and advice.

Here goes---

1.	Can anyone suggest a nice laboratory manual for fly genetics?

2.	I am looking for advice and suggestions for good, clear-cut
crosses to demonstrate sex-linkage, dominance, recessiveness, etc.  The
weirder the mutation, the better; in my experience, a certain degree of
showmanship helps to hold the classroom's attention.  I am particularly
interested in some "off-beat" mutations, like cytoplasmic or conditional
lethals.

Isn't there a CO2 sensitivity phenotype out there?  I think it is due to a
bacterial symbiont, but it is still maternally transmitted.

3.	What are some good sources for fly lines (I already have the
Carolina Biological Supply catalogue).

4.	Is a three-point cross too tedious for the students?  It would be
great if they had something a bit complex to chew on, to demonstrate
mapping as well as linkage.

I realize that everyone is hyper-busy with their own careers.  Still, I
would be most appreciative for a nudge or two in the correct direction.

-Mark Martin
momartin at cheshire.oxy.edu