IUBio Archive & FlyBase server network change

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Thu Dec 1 08:12:27 EST 1994

[ My apologies if you get this note twice. The local news poster
  seems to have eaten the first post of this note yesterday. -dg ]

IUBio Archive and the Drosophila FlyBase services at network address
ftp.bio.indiana.edu will shift to a new network IP address
next week.  This move should no more than temporarily affect anyone,
except for a few computers that use direct IP addresses instead
of Internet name services.

The new network address, on 7 December 1994 will be
  129.79.225.25
If you use our IP number, you may shift to this now, as the new computer
is in service now.  The current address is 129.79.224.25.

This number change will not entail a name change.  The name
   ftp.bio.indiana.edu
will remain valid.  The hostname fly.bio.indiana.edu will remain
valid, but it is not a prefered name for accessing the services.
In addition, two new network alias names will be available for this
server:

    iubio.bio.indiana.edu
       -- denotes the IUBio archive of biology software and data
       services.

    flybase.bio.indiana.edu
       -- denotes the Drosophila database services.

These new names are put in place in the event we split the chores for
these services onto different machines.  You may start using either
of these names on 7 Dec.

Currently services are available thru anonymous ftp, and Internet
gopher.  http calls (to port 80) are now served thru the gopher server
here.

The new computer is an upgrade from Sun Sparc 2 to Sun Sparc 20, and
we hope that it will be able to provide faster and more complex
services.  There are preliminary versions of new search services
in testing now for both GenBank sequences, and FlyBase information,
for which I would welcome comments. You may look at these by connecting to
  gopher://ftp.bio.indiana.edu:71/
or http://ftp.bio.indiana.edu/  from your Mosaic/html browser.
I'll be announcing more on these in another note.

                      IUBIO ARCHIVE FOR BIOLOGY

IUBio Archive is an archive of biology data and software.  The
archive includes items to browse, search and fetch molecular
data, software, biology news and documents, as well as links to
remote information sources in biology and elsewhere.

Molecular biology is the area of concentration, and it is also a
home for Drosophila research data.  The archive will maintain
software for Macintosh, VAX-VMS, Unix, MS-DOS and any other
important computer operating systems.

                        About FlyBase

FlyBase is a database of genetic and molecular data for Drosophila.
It contains all the information in the 'Redbook' (D. L. Lindsley
and G. G. Zimm, The genome of Drosophila melanogaster, Academic
Press, 1992) merged with more recently published information.
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu