dissection of ring glands

Hampton Carson hampton at UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU
Wed Dec 7 15:18:02 EST 1994

Years ago I had good success dissecting the ring gland out of D. robusta
young pupae and old larvae after reading the lucid account in the old
Demerec book 'Biology of Drosophila" (1950). From larvae, its very easy
since it sits right anterior to the two hemispheres of the brain and
sticks onto the brain and suboesophageal ganglion which easily dissects
out as a unit: its harder in pupae, since it can no longer be located by
finding the brain. The Demerec account is for D. virilis which, like
robusta, is probably easier to handle than melanogaster because of their
larger size. I think that one of Bodenstein's papers was useful. Of
course there may be some recent anatomical accounts or directions that
are better, but I don't know of any.  Good luck  Aloha from Hamp Carson