Lefevre polytene photomaps

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 9 08:58:59 EST 1994

Back in the mid-1970s George Lefevre made his famous photomaps of third-
instar larval salivary gland polytene chromosomes. They were originally
published in the "Genetics & Biology of Drosophila" and were reprinted
in the 1992 Lindsley & Zimm "Genome of Drosophila melanogaster." The
photomaps, along with Lefevre's narrative GBD chapter, were also available
as a reprint. I bought a bunch from Burke Judd, who was selling surplus
copies of the reprint at a Drosophila Research Conference several years
ago. Of course, my supply is missing, probably disappeared into one of
the several formidable-sized cartons I never unpacked following my last
move. Either that or my QBH file system has them.

Does anyone know of a WWW site that has high-quality jpegs of Lefevre's
maps? Does anyone, therefore, want to collude in a possible violation of
an Academic Press copyright by telling me the http pointer? Alternatively,
does anyone know if Academic Press has the GBD chapter & maps still
available?

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: garfinkl at iitmax.acc.iit.edu)
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright 1994 (c)