DIN Vol. 15

Kathy Matthews matthewk at fly.bio.indiana.edu
Tue Jul 5 13:57:32 EST 1994

DROSOPHILA INFORMATION NEWSLETTER
Volume 15, July 1994

     The Drosophila Information Newsletter has been established
with the hope of providing a timely forum for informal
communication among Drosophila workers.  The Newsletter will be
published quarterly and distributed electronically, free of
charge.  We will try to strike a balance between maximizing the
useful information included and keeping the format short;
priority will be given to genetic and technical information.
Brevity is essential.  If a more lengthy communication is felt to
be of value, the material should be summarized and an address
made available for interested individuals to request more
information.  Submitted material will be edited for brevity and
arranged into each issue.  Research reports, lengthy items that
cannot be effectively summarized, and material that requires
illustration for clarity should be sent directly to Jim Thompson
(THOMPSON at AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU) for publication in DIS.
Materials appearing in the Newsletter will be reprinted in DIS.
Back issues of DIN are available from FlyBase in the directory
flybase/news or in News/ when accessing FlyBase with Gopher.
Material appearing in the Newsletter may be cited unless
specifically noted otherwise.
     Material for publication should be submitted by e-mail.
Figures and photographs cannot be accepted at present.  Send
technical notes to Carl Thummel and all other material to Kathy
Matthews.  The e-mail format does not allow special characters to
be included in the text.  Both superscripts and subscripts have
been enclosed in square brackets; the difference should be
obvious by context.  Bold face, italics, underlining, etc. cannot
be retained.  Please keep this in mind when preparing
submissions.  To maintain the original format when printing DIN,
use Courier 10cpi font on a standard 8.5" x 11" page with 1"
margins.
     Drosophila Information Newsletter is a trial effort that
will only succeed if a broad segment of the community
participates.  If you have information that would be useful to
your colleagues, please take the time to pass it along.

The editors:
Carl Thummel                            Kathy Matthews
Dept. of Human Genetics                 Dept. of Biology
Eccles Institute - Bldg. 533            Indiana University
University of Utah                      Bloomington, IN 47405
Salt Lake City, UT 84112                812-855-5782; FAX/2577
801-581-2937; FAX/5374                  MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
CTHUMMEL at HMBGMAIL.MED.UTAH.EDU          MATTHEWK at INDIANA.BITNET
***

To add your name to the Newsletter distribution list, send one of
the following E-mail messages from the account at which you wish
to receive DIN.

Via Internet --   To: LISTSERV at IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name
Via Bitnet --     To: LISTSERV at IUBVM
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name

     LISTSERV will extract your user name and node from the
E-mail header and add you to the list. Use your Internet address
if you have one.  You will receive confirmation by E-mail if you
have successfully signed on to the list.  If you are on the list
and do not wish to receive DIN, or you want to remove a soon-to-
be-defunct address, replace SUB in the above message with UNS.
The SUB command can also be used to correct spelling errors in
your real name; the new entry will simply replace the old as long
as it was sent from the same USERID at NODE address.
***
DIN Vol. 15 TABLE OF CONTENTS

     >Introduction to Drosophila Information Newsletter
     >How to subscribe to the Newsletter
>TABLE OF CONTENTS
>ANNOUNCEMENTS
     >Mid-America Stock Center news (Bowling Green)
     >Bloomington Stock Center news
>REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS
     >Insectavoxes
>MATERIALS AVAILABLE
     >Stocks from the Kafatos lab
***

ANNOUNCEMENTS

MID-AMERICA STOCK CENTER NEWS (BOWLING GREEN)
     182 new stocks have been added to the collection.  The
update of our stock list that we provided to FlyBase this spring
includes these new stocks.  For further information, contact Ron
Woodruff or Phyllis Oster, Dept. of Biological Sciences, Bowling
Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403. 419-372-2631,
demlano at opie.bgsu.edu.
***

BLOOMINGTON STOCK CENTER NEWS
     * myc-tagged FRT stocks:  Some people are having problems
getting good staining of myc-tagged clones with the FRT system of
Xu and Rubin (Development 117:1223).  According to Gerry Rubin,
the quality of the individual batch of antibody is a critical
factor.  He says that the Artavanis-Tsakonas lab, and others,
have generated batches of antibody that give reliably good
results by growing subclones of the monoclonal line (Myc
1-9E10.2) and selecting one that provides good staining.
     * Voice-mail is currently unavailable at 812-855-5783.
Please place your stock requests by e-mail to
MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU, by FAX to 812-855-2577, or phone 812-855-
5782.
***

REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS

INSECTAVOX
Scott P. McRobert, Dept. of Biology, St. Joseph's University,
Philadelphia, PA 19131. 215-660-1833, smcrober at sju.edu.
     Does anyone still build INSECTAVOXes for fun and profit? I
have the box, but I need someone who can install the "guts".
***

MATERIALS AVAILABLE

KAFATOS FLY STOCKS: TERMINATION NOTICE
     OK, here is latest from Lorraine Lukas, grand Poobah of the
fly facility:
     Approximately half of the Kafatos stocks are past due and
will be autoclaved on Friday, July 8. Flies that will be
maintained until July 31 are described in recent papers authored
by F.C. Kafatos and Shea, Mariani, Orr, Tolias or Fenerjian.
     Just as a reminder, select female sterile, amplification
mutants and chorion promoter-lacz transgenics will be maintained
in Heidelburg. Some authors, particularly those still working in
flies, can be contacted directly for stocks. And of course, as
the majority of stocks terminated are transgenic flies, these
lines can be remade by injecting particular constructs, which the
lab in Heidelburg maintains as DNA.  So last call, and I will do
my best to fill orders.
     Requests should be directed to Dr. Len Dobens (phone
617-495-3292; FAX 617-495-4312; E-mail
dobens at biosun.harvard.edu).
***