Basal promoters

gc genecutl at mendel.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 22 22:00:29 EST 1994

In article <94203.100449LVM3 at psuvm.psu.edu>, Lakshmi Madabusi <LVM3 at psuvm.psu.edu> wrote:

> I am interested in Drosophila promoters, other than hsp70, which have
>been used as minimal promoters.  (The hsp70 minimal promoter is -50 or
>-43 to +89 or far ther downstream.)  It doesn't matter whether or how
>well it has worked.

Lots of people have used the distal promoter of the Alcohol Dehydrogenase
gene.  You just need around 80bp of this to get transcription in Schneider
cell transfections.
The actin promoter is also commonly used to drive transcription in
Drosophila transfections, but I don't know the size of the promoter
fragment used.

--gc

I know you like rock 'n' roll. Have you considered overdosing
on heroin, like many of your pop-star favorites?  --Life in Hell