any left-right asymmetries in drosophila?

sb9e sb9e at
Sat Jul 23 12:46:30 EST 1994

In article <30otu9$49g at>
mlevin at (Michael Levin) writes:

>     Are there any organs or tissues that are asymmetric about the body's
> left-right axis (as the human heart, for example) in Drosophila?
> I am interested in molecular markers (genes etc.) as well. Please
> reply to mlevin at
> Mike Levin

     Dear Mike,

     I quote this from P. A. Lawrence's book "The Making of a Fly"

          "...insects are remarkably bilaterally symmetric, there
appear to be no 'left' or 'right' genes. An example of bilateral
asymmetry is the genitalia of the male; as they develop they rotate -
always counterclockwise 180°. It is not known what gives direction to
the rotation."

     sb9e at