Drosophila Codon Usage

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Fri Jun 17 07:33:02 EST 1994

Any number of sequence analysis programs will translate
from amino to nucleic acid sequences.  Many or most of these
programs will let you specify what codon usage table to
use.

The two programs I am familiar with that do this backtranslation
are (a) the GCG sequence analysis package (a commercial product)
and (b) my SeqApp sequence program for Macintoshes (at ftp.bio.indiana.edu
in /molbio/seqapp).  There are doubtless many more.

Then you need codon usage tables for drosophila.  I know of two:

The one generated my Mike Cherry along with those for many other
species.  See ftp.bio.indiana.edu:/molbio/codon/dro.cod   This
is in a format that both the GCG package's backtranslate and Seqapp
can read.

Another is generated by Mike Ashburner.  See ftp.bio.indiana.edu:/flybase
/allied-data/codons.txt   You will have to reformat this to use in
either of the above programs.

-- don
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu