Major FlyBase Update

FlyBase Project Members flybase at MORGAN.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Mar 21 17:02:11 EST 1994

FlyBase announces a major new release of the Drosophila database.

FlyBase Release 9404 is a major update of the information
on Drosophila genes and alleles found in the flybase/genes
directory of the gopher server at IUBio (at ftp.bio.indiana.edu,
which also supports anonymous ftp).

This update includes more than 6700 genes and 18,000 alleles,
compared to the approximately 4,000 genes listed in Lindsley
and Zimm (1992), which served as one of the starting points
for this collection.  The previous major FlyBase genes release
in September 1993 contained information on 5684 genes.

Documentation for the updated gene and allele information is in
flybase/genes/genes94.doc.  All of this information can be
interactively searched through use of a gopher+ client on your
Internet-connected computer.

A number of new or updated allied data sets are also being
made available on IUBio this week.  These will be described
in separate announcements.

Last week we announced significant additions to the FlyBase
bibliography available in flybase/refs at IUBio.  There are
now more than 62,500 publications listed, and this will grow
on a regular ongoing basis.

If use of FlyBase is new to you, we encourage you to read
the document entitled "About FlyBase" in the main flybase
directory at IUBio.  If you have any questions or comments,
please email them to

flybase at morgan.harvard.edu

If you wish to notify us of any data corrections or additions,
please email these notifications to

flybase-updates at morgan.harvard.edu

We greatly appreciate your help in making FlyBase data as
correct and complete as possible.