Injections

Chris Merli Chris_Merli at qms1.life.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 29 11:18:45 EST 1994

I am planning to begin injecting embryos in the near future.  The last time
I did this I suceeded in getting transformants but the efficiency was not
very high.  The problem seems to be that I only get about 10% hatching and
usually lose some of those before they become adults.  In our protocol we
dechorionate the 0-1hr embryos in 50% bleach, line them up on an industrial
grade tape which is non-toxic and dessicate for about 5 minutes. The
embryos are then placed under halocarbon oil and injected using a capillary
tube pulled and ground to a 2 micron opening.  The injected embryos are
placed on a microscope slide under oil and this is placed on a molases
plate.  The embryos are kept at room temp for about 36 hr untill they hatch
and the larvae are transfered to standard fly media.  Please send any hints
you may have.  Thank you

Chris Merli