CO2 pads

Mark D. Garfinkel garfinkl at iitmax.iit.edu
Tue May 10 07:09:41 EST 1994

christen at CALVIN.JCI.TJU.EDU (Dr. Alan Christensen) writes:

>In practice static electricity can be a problem.  Static charges seem to
>get on the flies, the nitex mesh on the pads, and the plastic vials.
>Occasionally, the vials will repel the flies, and they go all over.
	Another solution to this problem is to humidify the CO2 gas by
bubbling it through water. Use a sidearm flask: feed the CO2 into the
flask using a glass tube through a hole in the stopper, attached by a
short bit of rubber tubing to an aquarium air-stone submerged in the
water. The CO2 then bubbles through the water, is humidified, and will
displace air from the volume above the water. Humidified CO2 exits the
flask & is directed to the CO2 pad using a flexible rubber tube attached
to the sidearm.

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: garfinkl at iitmax.acc.iit.edu)
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright (c) 1994