Mite Infestation

T. Kaufman kaufman at SUNFLOWER.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Tue Oct 4 18:40:40 EST 1994

Andrew Davis posted this note on the board:

> Most stock centers are infected and in any cases it's always best to assume
>that they are.

        I must take strong exception to this blanket statement.  Both the
Bloomington and Midwest stock centers go to great lengths to insure that
there are no mite infestations in our stock collections.  All incoming
stocks are routinely quarentined.  We also check for infestation on a
regular basis.  I know of no instance where a stock received from this
center has been infested.  I cannot vouch for the commercial sources of
Drosophila stocks but the two research oriented centers here in the states
are I assure you clean of mites.   However I do agree that it is best for
everyone to quarentine all incoming stocks regardless of their origin [just
as we do]. --tk

Thom Kaufman   	     	       kaufman at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
--- Biology Dept.,  Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 ---
812-855-3033/Office--812-855-7674/Lab--812-855-2577/FAX