Mite Infestation

A.J. DAVIS pab6awd at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 10:19:17 EST 1994

In article <9410010037.AA104066 at acc.wuacc.edu> zzwolf at ACC.WUACC.EDU (wolf tom) writes:
>From: zzwolf at ACC.WUACC.EDU (wolf tom)
>Subject: Mite Infestation
>Date: 30 Sep 1994 17:36:41 -0700

>I am teaching a genetics laboratory and the stocks have become infested
>with mites.  I am not sure where the infestation came from since I have used
>only commercial stocks or those provided by stock centers.  I have dealt
>with this problem before and it is time consuming.  Is there a relatively
>simple solution to this problem (short of wiping out everything and
>starting over)?  Are there any commerical or other products which would
>reduce future risks?

Yes mites are a time consuming problem and no there isn't a simple solution.
The only reliable stratagy is rigorous quarentine.  Most stock centers are
infected and in any cases it's always best to assume that they are.

There are products and methods which will reduce infection risk but my
technician refuses to tell me the details unless i pay the usual consultancy
fees for such information - yep- Universities are getting commercial - sorry.

Andrew