Mite Infestation

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at ellis.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 5 10:25:06 EST 1994

In article <199410042340.QAA25986 at net.bio.net> kaufman at SUNFLOWER.BIO.INDIANA.EDU (T. Kaufman) writes:
>Andrew Davis posted this note on the board:
>
>> Most stock centers are infected and in any cases it's always best to assume
>>that they are.
>
>        I must take strong exception to this blanket statement.  Both the
>Bloomington and Midwest stock centers go to great lengths to insure that
>there are no mite infestations in our stock collections. [deletia]
>However I do agree that it is best for
>everyone to quarentine all incoming stocks regardless

	Perhaps I've labored under a misapprehension, but I've often
	wondered how readily mite contamination arises during transit.
	In such instances, if they occur, the person or organization
	sending the flies would be blamed wrongly.

	Knowing that some individual fly investigators are more tolerant
	of low-level mite infestation than the community as a whole,
	on the theory that "you can't beat them," I'd have to second
	Thom's advice of universal rigorous quarantine.

Mark

--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: garfinkl at iitmax.acc.iit.edu)
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright 1994 (c)