Anesthetic?

Y. Fuyama A910741%JPNTMU00.BITNET at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
Fri Oct 7 03:52:36 EST 1994

On 6 Oct 1994 23:02:36 GMT
Scott Panzer <stenor at pcnet.com> said:

> There's also something called 'Fly-Nap' that is fairly long lasting.
> I think companies that supply school labs with flies (eg Carolina)
> have this stuff.  I don't know what chemical it actually is.

  I understand that the effective component of Fly-Nap (TM) is
  triethylamine.

  We use a conventional plastic wash bottle as an anesthetizer using
  triethylamine. Put cotton wad in it and pour small amount (ca 1 ml)
  of triethyamine. (This amount is enough to use for a whole day or
  even a few days!) Blow evaporated gas into a vial containing flies
  and wait until they stop moving.  Be sure that the flies stay at the
  bottom of the vial because triethylamine is much heavier than air.

  Anesthesia by triethylamine lasts at least 30 min, and often over
  1 hr. (Our students used to finish chi-square tests before flies
  wake up!)

 ---
Yoshiaki FUYAMA :Dept. of Biology, Tokyo Metropolitan Univ.
                     A910741 at JPNTMU00.BITNET
                     yfuyama at yamabuki.comp.metro-u.ac.jp (Internet)