Anesthetic?

Scott Panzer stenor at pcnet.com
Thu Oct 6 18:02:36 EST 1994

In article <009858B9.762C20BD at vms.csd.mu.edu> Jeff Otto,
5764ottoj at vms.csd.mu.edu writes:
> >Can anyone out there suggest an alternative Drosophila anesthetic to
diethyl
> >ether that might be more suitable (i.e. safer)  for use in a classroom
> >setting?
>
> Two alternatives come to mind:
> CO2
> Ice - just place your vials on a bucket of ice, and in a few minutes

There's also something called 'Fly-Nap' that is fairly long lasting.
I think companies that supply school labs with flies (eg Carolina)
have this stuff.  I don't know what chemical it actually is.

Scott

Scott Panzer               |   Department of Genetics, SHM I-310
stenor at pcnet.com           |   333 Cedar Street
panzer at biomed.med.yale.edu |   New Haven, CT  06510