Scott Panzer stenor at
Thu Oct 6 18:02:36 EST 1994

In article <009858B9.762C20BD at> Jeff Otto,
5764ottoj at writes:
> >Can anyone out there suggest an alternative Drosophila anesthetic to
> >ether that might be more suitable (i.e. safer)  for use in a classroom
> >setting?
> Two alternatives come to mind:
> CO2
> Ice - just place your vials on a bucket of ice, and in a few minutes

There's also something called 'Fly-Nap' that is fairly long lasting.
I think companies that supply school labs with flies (eg Carolina)
have this stuff.  I don't know what chemical it actually is.

Scott Panzer               |   Department of Genetics, SHM I-310
stenor at           |   333 Cedar Street
panzer at |   New Haven, CT  06510
Phone: 203-785-2675    Fax: 203-785-6333   Alt Fax: 203-785-7227