Mite Infestation

Gert Bolwig bolwig at
Tue Oct 11 09:44:55 EST 1994

*** Important Correction ***

In a previous post <36vlknINNii2 at> I INCORRECTLY stated:

> * We have had some success with treating the flies with [2, 4, 4',
> 5-tetrachlorodiphenyl sulfone] ("TEDION"). Dissolve four gram in one
> hundred mililiters acetone and spray lightly it on strips of
> cellu-cotton (or beefy papertowel). Try 50 cm X 50 cm X 100 cm worth of
> very fluffed strips/100 ml. Fluff them frequently whilst spraying. Do
> not breathe the acetone soln., and handle the strips with gloves. I
> don't know what it does to humans. Place a strip in each bottle for
> several generations. It may only affect certain developmental stages of
> the mites. Test if your genotypes can tolerate the stuff.

The CORRECT dose of TEDION is four hundred miligram (0.4 g) in one
hundred mililiters acetone.

I hope the previuos posting hasn't caused any problems

Gert <bolwig at>

Gert Bolwig  Long Island; New York; USA
I do not represent Cold Spring Harbor Lab. I just work there.