infection in medium

Eugen C. Buehler buehler at pop.pitt.edu
Thu Oct 27 04:25:44 EST 1994

David,

    Here's our recipe for fly food, in which the propionic acid and tegosept
both act to inhibit the growth of various nasties.  By the way, this recipe
is available at our WWW server at:

    the recipe itself is at http://flies3.bio.pitt.edu/manual/Food.html

To make 12 litters of fly food you will need:

14 L water
1 L molasses
1 L cornmeal
148 g agar
412 g baker's yeast
225 ml tegosept (10% (w/v) methyl p-hydroxybenzoate in 95% ethanol)
80 ml propionic acid

    We've used this recipe for the last two years, with no infections.  Of
course, it is always wise to keep the food at 4C until your ready to use it.

                                                Eugen Buehler
                                                Carthew Lab
                                                Dept. of Biological Sciences
                                                University of Pittsburgh

In Article <9410270708.AA25035 at luxor.latrobe.edu.au>,
gendjc at LUXOR.LATROBE.EDU.AU wrote:
>Can anyone help? We've been getting more and more infections of our
>fly medium. I don't know if they're two different types or not. One sees
>the medium turn yellower-pale orange with a mucoid surface that flies
>get stuck in. Another type seems to be where the medium gradually
>turns from yellow-orange-amber-deep orangy brown. Tis is not associated
>with the slimeys in fact the medium seems to dry out a bit. Anyway, it's
>giving us hell and I think incidence is increasing. Our medium uses
>agar, raw sugar, and yeast. In addition, one of us studies an infection in
thflies which is killed by tetracycline so he must avoid using that in