infection in medium

Y. Fuyama A910741%JPNTMU00.BITNET at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
Fri Oct 28 07:20:18 EST 1994

At 12:08 AM 10/27/94 -0700, gendjc at luxor.latrobe.edu.au wrote:
>Can anyone help? We've been getting more and more infections of our
>fly medium. I don't know if they're two different types or not. One sees
>the medium turn yellower-pale orange with a mucoid surface that flies
>get stuck in. Another type seems to be where the medium gradually
>turns from yellow-orange-amber-deep orangy brown. Tis is not associated
>with the slimeys in fact the medium seems to dry out a bit. Anyway, it's
>giving us hell and I think incidence is increasing. Our medium uses
>agar, raw sugar, and yeast. In addition, one of us studies an infection in
>thflies which is killed by tetracycline so he must avoid using that in
>the medium.
>Any ideas?

 Try Salicylic acid and/or Sorbic acid (0.1%) for a while
 instead of current preservatives.

 Good luck,

 ---
Yoshiaki FUYAMA :Dept. of Biology, Tokyo Metropolitan Univ.
                     A910741 at JPNTMU00.BITNET
                     yfuyama at yamabuki.comp.metro-u.ac.jp (Internet)