Need Anti-Fruit Fly Help

Scott Panzer stenor at pcnet.com
Tue Sep 27 13:03:12 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep26.231638.1 at nickel.laurentian.ca> ,
s3000041 at nickel.laurentian.ca writes:
>How in the heck do you get rid of fruit flies?  I'm not talking
>about a swarming mass of them, just a persistent few.

Well, if you don't want to use insecticide (for health reasons or because
you work with some other bug perhaps :), you can always try to trap
them.  You might mix a small amount of yeast with some water or
fruit juice, and leave it in a bottle.  Fruit flies will love this, and
fly
into the bottle.  You can then cap the bottle after a couple of days
and throw it in the trash, or kill the flies by placing the bottle in
the freezer, if you wish to wash and re-use the bottle.

Just be sure you don't forget about the trap.  Fly traps can turn into
fly generators if you forget about them and leave them around.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Scott Panzer               |   Department of Genetics, SHM I-310
stenor at pcnet.com           |   333 Cedar Street
panzer at biomed.med.yale.edu |   New Haven, CT  06510