DIN Vol. 18

KATHY MATTHEWS MATTHEWK at UCS.INDIANA.EDU
Sat Apr 1 00:25:57 EST 1995

DROSOPHILA INFORMATION NEWSLETTER
Volume 18, April 1995

     The Drosophila Information Newsletter has been established
with the hope of providing a timely forum for informal
communication among Drosophila workers.  The Newsletter will be
published quarterly and distributed electronically, free of
charge.  We will try to strike a balance between maximizing the
useful information included and keeping the format short;
priority will be given to genetic and technical information.
Brevity is essential.  If a more lengthy communication is felt to
be of value, the material should be summarized and an address
made available for interested individuals to request more
information.  Submitted material will be edited for brevity and
arranged into each issue.  Research reports, lengthy items that
cannot be effectively summarized, and material that requires
illustration for clarity should be sent directly to Jim Thompson
(THOMPSON at AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU) for publication in DIS.
Materials appearing in the Newsletter will be reprinted in DIS.
Back issues of DIN are available from FlyBase in the directory
flybase/news or in News/ when accessing FlyBase with Gopher.
Material appearing in the Newsletter may be cited unless
specifically noted otherwise.
     Material for publication should be submitted by e-mail.
Figures and photographs cannot be accepted at present.  Send
technical notes to Carl Thummel and all other material to Kathy
Matthews.  The e-mail format does not allow special characters to
be included in the text.  Both superscripts and subscripts have
been enclosed in square brackets; the difference should be
obvious by context.  Bold face, italics, underlining, etc. cannot
be retained.  Please keep this in mind when preparing
submissions.  To maintain the original format when printing DIN,
use Courier 10cpi font on a standard 8.5" x 11" page with 1"
margins.
     Drosophila Information Newsletter is a trial effort that
will only succeed if a broad segment of the community
participates.  If you have information that would be useful to
your colleagues, please take the time to pass it along.

The editors:
Carl Thummel                            Kathy Matthews
Dept. of Human Genetics                 Dept. of Biology
Eccles Institute - Bldg. 533            Indiana University
University of Utah                      Bloomington, IN 47405
Salt Lake City, UT 84112                812-855-5782; FAX/2577
801-581-2937; FAX/5374                  MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
CTHUMMEL at HMBGMAIL.MED.UTAH.EDU          MATTHEWK at INDIANA.BITNET
***

To add your name to the Newsletter distribution list, send one of
the following E-mail messages from the account at which you wish
to receive DIN.

Via Internet --   To: LISTSERV at IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name
Via Bitnet --     To: LISTSERV at IUBVM
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name

     LISTSERV will extract your user name and node from the
E-mail header and add you to the list. Use your Internet address
if you have one.  You will receive confirmation by E-mail if you
have successfully signed on to the list.  If you are on the list
and do not wish to receive DIN, or you want to remove a soon-to-
be-defunct address, replace SUB in the above message with UNS.
The SUB command can also be used to correct spelling errors in
your real name; the new entry will simply replace the old as long
as it was sent from the same USERID at NODE address.
***
DIN Vol. 18 TABLE OF CONTENTS

     >Introduction to Drosophila Information Newsletter
     >How to subscribe to the Newsletter
>TABLE OF CONTENTS
>ANNOUNCEMENTS
     >1995 Drosophila Board meeting
     >Bloomington Stock Center news
     >Position available
>MATERIALS AVAILABLE
     >Stocks from Burke Judd
     >New mutation affecting eye-antennal disc derivatives
>REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS
     >Mutations in 15
     >Genetic materials in 58D1-2
>GENETIC NOTES
     >Problem FRT stock
     >D. simulans 3R inversions
>TECHNIQUES
     >Need PRINS protocol for Drosophila
***

ANNOUNCEMENTS

DROSOPHILA BOARD MEETS IN ATLANTA
     The North American Drosophila Board will meet at 2:00 PM,
Wednesday, April 5, 1995, in Tower Room 1, Westin Peachtree Plaza
Hotel, Atlanta, GA.  If you have concerns you would like brought
before the Board, contact your regional representative.
     Mariana Wolfner, 1993 President of the Board, posted the
following explanation of the Board to bionet.drosophila on
December 7, 1994.  It is reprinted here for those who missed it
and aren't familiar with the Drosophila Board.

     The Drosophila Board meets annually during the Flymeeting to
     discuss issues of relevance to the fly community. The Board
     is composed of:
     - regional representatives who represent *you*.
     - the present, immediate past and future meetings
     organizers.
     - ex officio members representing stock centers, DIS, DIN,
       FlyBase.

     Between meetings, the Board is polled by its president on
     any other issue that may need attention. Board reps serve
     three-year terms; the terms are staggered.

     With this posting I am listing the main issues that were
     discussed at the last Board meeting. Please contact your
     regional rep if you would like further details, or if you
     have comments or issues that you want brought up at future
     Board meetings.

     The current regional reps are:
     Northeast: Welcome Bender
     Mid-Atlantic: Margarete Heck
     Great Lakes: Helen Salz
     Midwest: Bill Engels
     Heartland: Juan Botas
     California: John Tower
     Northwest: Susan Parkhurst
     Canada: Tom Grigliatti

     The current Board President is Claire Cronmiller.
     Addresses of all these individuals are in FlyBase.

     Agenda of last Board meeting:
     1. Administrative matters related to financial and
     organizational issues.
     2. Annual flymeeting format, in general, and related issues
     3. Statistics for the current meeting (V. Finnerty,
     organizer)
     4. Future meetings (meeting locations rotate: east coast -
     west coast- central)

     The dates, sites and organizers for the next several
     meetings are:
     1995, Atlanta, April 5-9, A. Spradling
     1996, San Diego, April 27-May 1, Jim Posakony
     1997, Chicago or New Orleans, dates TBA [~April 16-20],
     Organizer TBA
     1998, East Coast site TBA, dates TBA, Organizer TBA
     1999, Seattle, dates TBA, Barbara Wakimoto and Susan
     Parkhurst

     If you wish to volunteer to organize one of the meetings,
     please contact Claire Cronmiller.

     5. Reports on operations, statistics and administration
     from:
      Larry Sandler Lectureship Committee
      Stock Centers
      DIN
      DIS
      FlyBase
***

BLOOMINGTON STOCK CENTER NEWS
     * We will be closed the week of April 3.  Requests received
between 5:00 PM March 29 and 5:00 PM April 12 will be shipped
April 17.
     * The linking of Bloomington stocks to alleles and
aberrations in FlyBase has begun.  Use the FlyBase WWW homepage
(http://morgan.harvard.edu/) to make use of this new feature.
Options to follow links to stocks are available through the
CytoSearch and SymbolSearch tools.  Approximately 700 alleles and
aberrations in Bloomington stock genotypes are not yet linked to
objects in FlyBase.
     * A new version of WAIS has caused some odd problems with
wild-card searching of the Stock Center stock lists on FlyBase.
We hope to solve this problem in the next few weeks, but in the
meantime, to be sure you see all available stocks with alleles of
a given gene, search for both gene-symbol* and gene-symbol[*.
This can be done in one step by including both in the same query,
or separately.  For example, if you want to see all stocks with
wg alleles, enter your query as:
wg* wg[*
This will produce a complete list.
***

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE
A position is available to study Drosophila germline sex
determination, Laboratory of Cellular and Developmental Biology,
NIH.  For more information contact Brian Oliver at
oliver at sc2a.unige.ch.
***

                       MATERIALS AVAILABLE

STOCKS AND CLONES
Burke Judd, NIEHS, P.O.Box 12233, Research Triangle Park, NC
27709-2233, USA. Phone: 919-541-4690, FAX 919-541-7593,
judd_b at niehs.nih.gov.
     Some of the following are unique combinations of mutants
that will be discarded soon after I leave the NIEHS, March 31,
1995.  If you can use any of them please let me know.  After
March 31, contact Jim Mason (mason-j at vaxe.niehs.nih.gov), who
will keep the stocks for another few weeks.

z[v77h]     w[+] is from Oregon-R
z[v77h] w[67c23]
w[zm]
sc z[1] w[zm]
z[v77h] w[zm]
y z[a] w[zm]
y w[zl]
z[1] w[zl]
y z[a] w[zl]
z[77h] w[zl]
sc z[1] w[zvl]

In(1)w[m4], y
In(1)w[m4], y sn[3]
In(1)w[m4], spl sn[3]
In(1)w[m4], y z[1]
In(1)w[m4], z[v77h] sn[3]
In(1)w[m4h], z[v77h]
In(1)rst[3]
In(1)rst[3], y z[1]
In(1)rst[3], z[v77h]

Df(1)rst[2], y
Df(1)rst[2], z[1]

Df(1)Su(z)J93, y z[1]/FM7:  The distal breakpoint of this
deficiency is 35 to 60 kb proximal to the w locus and extends
through rst and vt but does not include N.  Deficiency acts as a
dominant suppressor of z[1] apparently by acting on the w locus
in cis.  It also exhibits rst, vt, reduced viability and female
sterility.  From deletion mapping against various rst and vt
deficiencies, the suppressor of z[1] element is proximal to
rst-vt.  Deficiency occurs at very low frequency as an ectopic
exchange product from females heterozygous for y[2] w[sp-2] and
z[1] w[zm] or z[1] w[zl].  Several strains were recovered from
both types of heterozygotes.  Original recombinant chromosomes
contained the w[zm] or w[zl] alleles.  These have been replaced
by crossingover with w[+] from Oregon-R or with w[65a25].  All
versions of these derivatives and the parental chromosomes are
available.  CaSpeR plasmid clones of part of the region from +100
to +163 (white locus map) are available.  A transformed line
carrying approximately 17.5kb extending from +122.5 to + 142 is
available.  Johng Lim, who did the transformation, also has a
copy of this line.

z[J91]:  This allele occurred spontaneously in z[1] w[65a25] spl
sn[3].  It causes lemon-yellow eye-color in z[J91] w[+] males and
z[J91] w[+]/z[+] w[+] females.  It acts only in cis, however,
thus most likely is acting on the w locus.

z-w lethals:  One allele of each of 13 lethals located in the
region between the z and w loci will be deposited in the
Mid-America Stock Center at Bowling Green.  As many as three
alleles for each locus will be kept here until sometime in April.

The deficiencies generated by ectopic recombination in the region
flanking the w locus that are described in Montgomery et al.,
(1991) Genetics 129: 1085-1098, will be available for a few more
weeks.

echinus locus:  We have cloned and sequenced genomic and cDNA
that we believe to be the ec locus.  However, a transformed line
carrying the genomic sequences fails to rescue ec mutations, thus
we have not yet published this.  Fly strains and clones are
available to anyone who is interested in a collaboration to
complete this analysis.  Contact Bibba Goode, Laboratory of
Reproductive Toxicology, NIEHS, P.O. Box 12233, RTP, NC 27709.
***

NEW MUTATION AFFECTING EYE-ANTENNAL DISC DERIVATIVES
Byeong-ryool Jeong, Department of Biology, Box B79, Indiana
Univ., Bloomington, IN 47405, USA. Phone: 812-855-8175,
bjeong at ucs.indiana.edu.
     I found a dominant mutation that resides on the third
chromosome in a maintained stock of labial[vd1].  Genetic mapping
indicates that this mutation is between curled and ebony. The
adult phenotype of this mutation includes: irregular facets and
hairs in the eyes (frequent), duplicated or irregular postorbital
bristles (frequent), tufted or mirror-image-duplicated vibrissae
(frequent), very small eyes (rare), duplication of the antennae
(rare), and crooked bristles on top of the head.  All of these
defects seem to be derived from the eye-antennal disc, and when I
looked at the eye-antennal disc of the third instar larvae, I
could find morphological defects in some of the discs, such as
humps on the eye or the antennal disc.  Expression pattern of
labial seemed to be unaffected. I named this mutation
"Dead[BJ1]" for "Defective eye-antennal disc."
     In addition to the above phenotypes, this mutation seemed to
be temperature-sensitive dominant lethal at 25oC, and to have
very low fecundity.  I failed to separate the mutation from
lab[vd1], therefore, the genotype of the stock is lab[vd1]
Dead[BJ1]/TM6B, Tb Hu.
     This stock will be discarded about the middle of April.  If
anyone wants this stock, please contact me at the e-mail address
above.
***

REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS

MUTATIONS IN 15
Jim Bloor, Wellcome/CRC Institute, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge,
CB2 1QR, UK. Tel. 0223 334129, Fax. 0223 334089,
jwb1003 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk.
     I am searching for mutations within division 15 of the X
chromosome. I have inflated, rudimentary, bazooka, M(1)15D and
forked alleles. I would like any others, can anybody help?
***

GENETIC MATERIALS IN 58D1-2
Qi Sun, Division of Biology, 216-76, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125,
USA. Tel. 818-395-8353, FAX, 818-449-0679,
sunq at starbase1.caltech.edu.
     I am looking for deficiencies, P insertions or chromosome
aberrations in 58D1-2 or near that region.  Thanks in advance for
your help.
***

                          GENETIC NOTES

A PROBLEM FRT STOCK
Norbert Perrimon, Dept. of Genetics, HHMI - Harvard Medical
School, 200 Longwood Ave., Boston, MA 02115-6092, USA.
perrimon at rascal.med.harvard.edu.
     We recently discovered that the Sco FRT40A chromosome which
some of you may have obtained from our lab to build recombinants
between FRT40A and a specific mutation (m) contains an additional
lethal between the FRT and Sco.  When this chromosome is used to
build recombinants between m and the FRT element, some
recombinants will be FRT l m or FRT l rather than the desired FRT
m.  If you have used this chromosome you should test the putative
FRT m recombinant lines for the presence of either m or l.  Since
Sco is homozygous lethal the presence of the second lethal was
not readily detectable.  As far as we know the other FRT lines
which have been recombined with dominant markers are not
associated with a similar problem.  We are sorry for any
inconvenience this may cause you.
***

D. SIMULANS 3R INVERSIONS
Jerry Coyne, Dept. Ecology and Evolution, The Univ. of Chicago,
1101 E. 57th St., Chicago, IL  60637, and P. Sniegowski, The
Center for Microbial Ecology, PSSB, Michigan State University,
East Lansing, MI  48824.  jcoyne at pondside.uchicago.edu.
     We report here a third-chromosome balancer stock of D.
simulans that contains previously undescribed paracentric
inversions.  A full description of the isolation of this
chromosome will appear in DIS 75.  The normal 3R of D. simulans
differs from that of D. melanogaster by a paracentric inversion
of 9 numbered divisions.  Using the D. melanogaster system, the
chromosome order of the normal D. simulans 3R is
61-84F/93F-84F/93F-100.  Relative to D. melanogaster, the D.
simulans balancer chromosome has the sequence:
61-81F1/[89E1-93F/84F-84E1/84B1-84E1/84B1-81F1]/89E1-84F/93F-100
(The region in brackets is the region inverted relative to the
normal D. simulans 3R).
     This aberration is associated with the dominant mutation
Ubx[m] and Dl lies within the inverted region.  Although the
region balanced by this chromosome is rather small, the stock is
useful because it allows one to keep two dominant alleles in
trans condition without selection.
***

                           TECHNIQUES

NEED PRINS PROTOCOL FOR DROSOPHILA
Elisabeth Hauschteck-Jungen, Zoologisches Institut der
Universitaet, Winterthurerstr. 190, 8057 Zuerich, Switzerland.
Fax: 1 361 31 85; K598315 at CZHRZU1A or office28 at zool.unizh.ch.
     PRINS is a successful technique in human cytology but we did
not succeed to apply it to Drosophila melanogaster mitotic
chromosomes and also not satisfactorily to polytene chromosomes.
Does anybody have a PCR protocol which works on polytene
chromosome? We would be grateful to get some information.
***