ABOUT MUTAGENESIS

Philip Batterham philip_batterham at MUWAYF.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Apr 5 21:07:16 EST 1995

                      ABOUT MUTAGENESIS
Hello.  My name is Kris Freebairn.  I am currently doing a pHD in the
department of Genetics at the University of Melbourne, Australia.  My
research is centred around the mechanisms by which resistance occurs to
insecticides in Lucilia cuprina.  To do this I am using mutagenesis.  So far,
I have used EMS which has been quite successful.  As EMS has a strong bias
towards GC to AT changes, I would like to use another mutagen which can
create AT to GC changes.  I was wondering if anyone knew of other mutagens
which create AT to GC changes at a higher frequency than EMS.  I have read
that nitrous oxide may create AT to GC changes and GC to AT changes with an
equal frequency.  Does anyone know if this can be used on flies?  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Kris.