SL2 cells at 37

Jim Bone jb031504 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Apr 6 16:28:01 EST 1995

In article <1995Apr5.141110.4497 at alw.nih.gov>, rchun at helix.nih.gov (Rene
Franz Chun) wrote:

> We are trying to look at a transcriptional regulatory protein
> and we want to express it in SL2 cells.  I know they normally
> grow at 22 degrees.  However, I've heard that some people express
> their gene of interest using a heat shock promoter and will
> grow the cells at 37 for 20 minutes or so.
>
> What might be some of the pros and cons between expressing
> at 22 degrees vs. 37 degrees?
>
> novice with drosophila cells,
>
> Rene

I have never grown SL2 cells at 37, even for a short time.  You would
incur a heat shock response, during which expression of most other genes
is turned off in favor of the heat shock genes.  Heat shock also perturbs
splicing patterns.  Growing at 37 degrees would not be good.  However, I
routinely grow SL2 cells at 27 degrees Celcius, and they do very well.
Make sure you dont grow anything else with the cells (yeast, flies, etc.)
or you will have lost of contamination problems.

Good luck,

Jim