Deficiency kit update

Kathy Matthews matthewk at fly.bio.indiana.edu
Tue Apr 18 11:48:08 EST 1995

The deficiency kits available through the Bloomington Stock
Center change whenever new deficiencies appropriate for the kits
become available to the collection.  We have recently updated our
estimates of coverage using maps drawn in proportion to
euchromatic DNA content.  We are grateful to John Merriam for
generating the maps used for this reassessment of the deficiency
kits.  Two sets of maps were used, one using the minimum
breakpoint range for each deficiency, one using the maximum
range.  Overall coverage is between 67% and 75% of the
euchromatin.  Here are the results by chromosome or chromosome
arm.

           %            % Coverage    % Coverage
      Euchromatin         Minimum       Maximum

1        20.3                82            85
2L       16.6                69            77
2R       20.4                49            59
3L       19.4                72            77
3R       21.6                65            79
4         1.5               100           100

All      100                 67            75

We are now in the process of using FlyBase to track down
published deficiencies that will fill in some of the gaps in
coverage.  When we finish contacting authors about these stocks I
will post a list of the remaining gaps with the hope of
identifying otherwise untraceable or unpublished deficiencies
that might be available to the collection.

A current list of deficiency kit stocks is always available from
FlyBase in flybase/stocks/stock-centers/bloomington/df-kit.rpt2.
Some additions and deletions were made to the kits in the process
of reassessing coverage.  If you already have one or more kits,
you can check for changes by comparing the stock numbers on the
information sheet provided with the stocks to the df-kit.rpt2
list on FlyBase.  From now on, in addition to updating the df-
kit.rpt2 file on FlyBase, I will post a message to bionet.dros
whenever stocks are added or removed from the deficiency kits.

Deficiency kits can be ordered by chromosome or by arm.  You do
not need to provide individual stock numbers; just ask for the
deficiency kit for a given chromosome or arm.  Many of these
stocks can be difficult to maintain so be prepared to provide
close stockkeeping attention when requesting deficiency kits.

--  Kathy

Kathy Matthews			Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center
Department of Biology		MATTHEWK at FLY.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Indiana University              MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
Bloomington, IN  47405-6801     812-855-5782