non melanogaster P transformants

John True jtrue at
Thu Apr 20 15:48:52 EST 1995

In article <D7C6ov.7sv at>, mg16 at
(Mark D. Garfinkel) wrote:
> >Has anyone made P element transformants in species other than D.
> >melanogaster?
> 	ObSheesh #1: Yes, of course.
> 	Almost from the Beginning of P Factor Transformation (that's 1982,

Thanks for the info, Mark.  I guess my post gave the impression that I
hadn't really done my homework.  I will certainly check out the references
you mentioned (which for some reason weren't common knowledge in our neck
of the woods), but what I'd really like to do is talk to people who have
experience doing this, about stuff that might not necessarily be in the
> >Also, can anyone direct me to a reference with data on heterochromatin
> >content in D. mauritiana?
> 	ObSheesh #2: Try searching the FlyBase references database.

I've got several literature searches in progress, and I was planning to
check this source as well.  I kind of just threw this query in as a
"...while I'm at it..." in the hopes that offhand someone could help me cut
to the chase.

Thanks again for the help.  Sorry I made ya say "sheesh".  I really wasn't
just being lazy.  I'm not really a lazy person (ask anyone!) :-)

(sorry for taking up more bandwidth explaining myself)

John True
e-mail:jtrue at
Zoology Dept.                                              voice:
DCMB Group/Genetics Program                                  fax:
B338 Levine SRC Box 91000
Duke University Durham NC 27708-1000