non melanogaster P transformants

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 21 08:07:02 EST 1995

In article <jtrue-200495164100 at edgemere.zoo.duke.edu>,
John True <jtrue at acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>In article <D7C6ov.7sv at midway.uchicago.edu>, mg16 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
>(Mark D. Garfinkel) wrote:
>> >Has anyone made P element transformants in species other than D.
>> >melanogaster?
>> 	ObSheesh #1: Yes, of course. [gapping deletion]
>Thanks for the info, Mark. [...]
	Not a problem. We aim to serve. ;)

>I will certainly check out the references
>you mentioned (which for some reason weren't common knowledge in our neck
>of the woods)
	The initial Brennan et al. paper on putting melanogaster-P into
Hawaiian Drosophila was in Cell, circa 1984. It was Very Hot Stuff at the
time. The Scavarda & Hartl paper I'm thinking of was in PNAS around the
same time. Straussbaugh et al. (I think) had also put unmarked melanogaster-P
into D. simulans & then followed the dynamics of the resulting hybrid
dysgenesis syndrome. It's easy, I think, to see why most clone-jockeys would
miss some of these the earlier papers, due to their treatment of HD as a
problem in population genetics rather than as a tool for cloned-gene
manipulation. It's also easy, I think, to see why inter-species transformation
for the most part died a quick death: if you're promoter-bashing, it made
better sense to clone non-melanogaster homologs & put them into melanogaster,
and take advantage of tools such as balancers that aren't available in other
species.

	Also in the mid-1980s, there were a bunch of papers that described
results of using melanogaster-P in attempts to increase transformation
frequency or to get transposition-proper in a variety of cultured cells
including mammalian and yeast. MGG, I think, once published a paper on the
ARS activity of melanogaster-P in S. cerevisiae, for example.

>what I'd really like to do is talk to people who have
>experience doing this, about stuff that might not necessarily be in the
>literature.
	Microinjecting D. simulans embryos was no more difficult than
microinjecting D. melanogaster, in my experience. Getting ry[+] D. simulans
transformants was no more difficult either. For other reasons, however,
those experiments wound up buried so deep they didn't appear even as an
appendix in my dissertation.

	Speaking of which... Does anyone know what FlyBase's policy is
concerning the addition of Drosophila-related "dissertation abstracts"
to the FlyBase references component? Doctoral dissertations, in the
United States at least, are officially registered with the University
of Michigan-based Dissertation Abstracts service; we even have to deal
with issues of copyright & royalty at the time of registration. Since
most fields regard doctoral dissertations as Real Publications, probably
FlyBase should too. And there are some notable Drosophilists who did
significant graduate work that was never published in any other form.

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright 1995 (c)