Food Media in Small Quantities?

Helen Benes hbenes at BIOMED.UAMS.EDU
Fri Aug 4 19:07:36 EST 1995

Yes, being a small lab and the only Fly People in Arkansas, we routinely
prepare 2-8 liters of food.  I am off on vacation but will send you the
recipe after 8/18/95.  If you can't wait, call or FAX my lab at the number
below.

Dr. Helen Benes
Department of Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Slot 516
4301 West Markham St.
Little Rock, AR 72205

Tel.:  (501) 686-5782  office (501) 686-7922  lab
FAX:  (501) 686-8169
E-mail:  hbenes at biomed.uams.edu
 ----------
From: BIOSCI-REQUEST
To: dros
Subject: Food Media in Small Quantities?
Date: Wednesday, August 02, 1995 11:13AM

Hi.  Due to renovations, our usual fly kitchen is unavailable for making
large batches of media.  Instead, it appears we will need to make smaller
batches on a rangetop in the interim.  None of the recipes in appendix N of
the grey book seem to have the same ingredients.  My questions are these:

1) Has anyone any advice about reducing recipes?  (Does it work, or are
there
   adjustments I will need to make?)

2) Does anyone have a recipe on file for small batches (~2-4 L) of food with
   the following ingredients:   (percentages are from the large recipe)

    10.0%    sucrose
     6.0%    yellow cornmeal
     3.4%    brewer's yeast
     1.0%    agar
     1.6 vol Tegosept in EtOH

I would like to be sure this food is *right*, since I am culturing other
species than melanogaster, and they tend to prefer fresh food, made well.

If this information is available online somewhere in flybase, I apologize
for
bothering you.  I looked and didn't see it anywhere.

Thanks very much.

anja