acaricides

Hampton Carson hampton at hawaii.edu
Thu Aug 31 15:03:45 EST 1995

Guillermo:

No doubt you will get replies suggesting better miticides but I would
like to suggest a procedure to be applied before you use chemicals.
Basically it is to take a relatively small sample of the contaminated stock
- perhaps 10 males and 10 females and runb them through a series of rapid
transfers in ordinary Drosophila vials. The idea is to get rid of them by
"serial dilution".  I used to have a series of 10 clean vials: tap the
unanesthetized flies into the first vial, shake it around a little and
then transfer within a minute or less into vial no. 2 and then into 3 and
so on. Put the adults in a food vial and then in the afternoon of the
same day, go through this procedure again, autoclaving all the vials the
flies have been in and wiping up the desk surface. Several days of this
will clear these flies of most mite species (some are tougher to get rid
of than others) but you may have to clean up your lab, wiping shelves with
a miticide and standing the vials on a towel saturated with the same.

Good luck with this "naturalistic method"! Aloha from

Hamp Carson