fruit fly problem

Marc Champagne Marc_Champagne at cellbio.duke.edu
Sat Dec 30 14:32:19 EST 1995

In article <4c2ike$8e5 at grandcanyon.binc.net>, Dave Borski
<dborski at mailbag.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with fruit flies in my home. At least I think that is
> what they are.  They are dark brown and about the size of a gnat and seem
> to like fruits and sweet things.  Where do they come from and how do I
> get rid of them?  If this is not the right place to ask, sorry for the
> inconvenience.

Try P-element transformation with a lethal gene!

Just kidding.  The flies probably came with the fruits.  If you put your fruits
in the fridge, the flies won't develop.  Without fruits in the house, the
adults will eventually die (unless you have something rotting behing your
fridge).

If they have red eyes, they probably are Drosophila.  That won't change your
problem, but know that thousands of people throughout the world are using that
bug and some get Nobel Prizes out of it.

Marc