fruit fly problem

THORN at LAN.TJHSST.EDU THORN at LAN.TJHSST.EDU
Sat Dec 30 23:06:37 EST 1995

I keep my fruit in the kitchen, at room temperature, but cover the fruit
bowl with a cloth napkin (close weave).  This replicates the famous
Redi/Spallanzani experiments (oth the 16th C?) that proved that there is
no spontaneous generation.  Bananas are the worst offenders.  We wash the
napkin every week when we wash the dishcloths.
This makes a great experiment for students in school, even
today---testing various modern and ancient fabrics for their abilityto
prevent "spontaneous generation."
Happy holidays!
Toby Mogollon Horn, Ph.D.			*THE DNAHAND*
Life Science and Biotechnology Laboratory			<thorn at lan.tjhsst.edu>
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
6560 Braddock Road
Alexandria, VA 22312	phone 703-750-5024		fax 703-750-5010