Microinjection set ups ?

David Lampe d-lampe at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:04:28 EST 1995

In article <3grlv0$58a at hecate.umd.edu>, saville at umail.umd.edu (Ken Saville)
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am researching the cost of setting for micro-injecting Drosophila
> eggs, e.g. for P-element transformations.  I have been spoiled as a
> postdoc with rather expensive set ups and would like to know the least
> expensive way to go.  In particular, Is there a recommended minimal
> microscope, mechanical stage, and micromanipulator set up.  How about
> needle pullers? what's the cheapest that will work ?
>
> Any advice or recommendations for references would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> ken saville

Dear Ken,

You might want to have a look at DIS 72:80.  Simmons and Drier describe a
very nice low cost injection apparatus.

 We use a similar one here.  It consists of a number of items we already
had in the lab:a stereo microsope and fiber optic light source.  A set of
15X oculars (borrowed these).  A Brinkman micromanipulator (borrowed this
from an electrophysiology colleague) and a heavy metal base that allows the
micromanipulator to be mounted such that the eggs can be injected in the
horizontal plane (this was made in the school's machine shop).  The slide
with the egg is slid along a metal platform so that the part of the slide
with the eggs hangs over the edge of the platform. Illumination is from
below with reflected light from the fiber optic lamp. I wish I had a
photograph of this thing that I could scan and post on our WEB site so you
could see it!!

Hope this is clear.  If not feel free to contact me.  If you can scrounge
the parts like we did (and even if you can't) this set up is very cheap and
works well.

Good luck,

David Lampe
Dept. Entomology