Qiagen prepped DNA for fly transformation

Brian Florence bflorenc at minerva.cis.yale.edu
Wed Feb 15 17:52:52 EST 1995

On 14 Feb 1995, Lynn Manseau wrote:

> Have people successfully used Quiagen prepped DNA for fly transformation?
>  Do your transformation frequencies drop?
> Also, are there any hints for cosmid transformation into flies?
>
> Lynn Manseau

Dear Lynn,

I have frequently used DNA prepped on Qiagen columns for transformation. I
found that overloading the columns would give DNA that looked pretty clean
(i.e., O.D., cut with restriction enzymes, etc.) but wouldn't give
transformants when injected.  As a rule of thumb I used 100 ml overnight
cultures in TB broth (see the new Maniatis) on the Qiagen-tip 500
columns.  That has not failed for ~10 constructs.  Better yet, it has
also worked for other people I have told.

Good Luck
Brian Florence