Wanted: nonselected trait for bio. lab

Erick Oshel ez041467 at jane.ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 24 14:17:26 EST 1995

Hello,

I am working with the University of California, Davis to redesign the
genetics lab for an introductory biology course.  Currently, the lab uses
gel electrophoresis to score ADH in Drosophila.

We would like to be able to demonstrate genetic drift and the
Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium by establishing small populations taken from a
larger "infinite" population.

Question 1:

Ideally, we are looking for traits which are codominant and scorable
under a disecting microscope without killing the flies.  However, we have
yet to find a scorable trait which is not selected against!  Any help and
suggestions on what traits we should use would be appreciated.

Question 2:

Also, I have no idea how long it will take to build up a large enough
population of flies to simulate an infinte population from which small
colonies of flies will be removed and allowed to grow on their own.

 Our hope is that these colonies will demonstrate changes in allele
frequency.  If this works, the flies will be used to teach several
introductory biology labs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Erick Oshel

etoshel at ucdavis.edu