DIN Vol. 17

KATHY MATTHEWS MATTHEWK at UCS.INDIANA.EDU
Mon Jan 2 18:41:47 EST 1995

DROSOPHILA INFORMATION NEWSLETTER
Volume 17, January 1995

     The Drosophila Information Newsletter has been established
with the hope of providing a timely forum for informal
communication among Drosophila workers.  The Newsletter will be
published quarterly and distributed electronically, free of
charge.  We will try to strike a balance between maximizing the
useful information included and keeping the format short;
priority will be given to genetic and technical information.
Brevity is essential.  If a more lengthy communication is felt to
be of value, the material should be summarized and an address
made available for interested individuals to request more
information.  Submitted material will be edited for brevity and
arranged into each issue.  Research reports, lengthy items that
cannot be effectively summarized, and material that requires
illustration for clarity should be sent directly to Jim Thompson
(THOMPSON at AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU) for publication in DIS.
Materials appearing in the Newsletter will be reprinted in DIS.
Back issues of DIN are available from FlyBase in the directory
flybase/news or in News/ when accessing FlyBase with Gopher.
Material appearing in the Newsletter may be cited unless
specifically noted otherwise.
     Material for publication should be submitted by e-mail.
Figures and photographs cannot be accepted at present.  Send
technical notes to Carl Thummel and all other material to Kathy
Matthews.  The e-mail format does not allow special characters to
be included in the text.  Both superscripts and subscripts have
been enclosed in square brackets; the difference should be
obvious by context.  Bold face, italics, underlining, etc. cannot
be retained.  Please keep this in mind when preparing
submissions.  To maintain the original format when printing DIN,
use Courier 10cpi font on a standard 8.5" x 11" page with 1"
margins.
     Drosophila Information Newsletter is a trial effort that
will only succeed if a broad segment of the community
participates.  If you have information that would be useful to
your colleagues, please take the time to pass it along.

The editors:
Carl Thummel                            Kathy Matthews
Dept. of Human Genetics                 Dept. of Biology
Eccles Institute - Bldg. 533            Indiana University
University of Utah                      Bloomington, IN 47405
Salt Lake City, UT 84112                812-855-5782; FAX/2577
801-581-2937; FAX/5374                  MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
CTHUMMEL at HMBGMAIL.MED.UTAH.EDU          MATTHEWK at INDIANA.BITNET
***

To add your name to the Newsletter distribution list, send one of
the following E-mail messages from the account at which you wish
to receive DIN.

Via Internet --   To: LISTSERV at IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name
Via Bitnet --     To: LISTSERV at IUBVM
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name

     LISTSERV will extract your user name and node from the
E-mail header and add you to the list. Use your Internet address
if you have one.  You will receive confirmation by E-mail if you
have successfully signed on to the list.  If you are on the list
and do not wish to receive DIN, or you want to remove a soon-to-
be-defunct address, replace SUB in the above message with UNS.
The SUB command can also be used to correct spelling errors in
your real name; the new entry will simply replace the old as long
as it was sent from the same USERID at NODE address.
***
DIN Vol. 17 TABLE OF CONTENTS

     >Introduction to Drosophila Information Newsletter
     >How to subscribe to the Newsletter
>TABLE OF CONTENTS
>ANNOUNCEMENTS
     >Drosophila Conference dates and places
     >Bloomington Stock Center news
     >Amazonian biodiversity Institute
     >Demerec returns to print
>REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS
     >Genetic materials in 51B-C
     >Structural data on nervous system development on WWW
     >Atlas of an Insect Brain
     >Reprints/preprints on development, genetics & evolution
***

ANNOUNCEMENTS

DROSOPHILA CONFERENCE
     The 1995 Drosophila Conference will be held in Atlanta,
Georgia, April 5-9.  Allan Spradling is the organizer.
     The 1996 meeting will be held in San Diego, California,
April 27-May 1.  Jim Posakony will be the organizer.

BLOOMINGTON STOCK CENTER NEWS
     * Beginning January 1, 1995, the weekly stock request
deadline will be 5:00 PM on Wednesdays.  All requests that
include our stock numbers and your Bloomington User Number and
are in by the deadline will be shipped to you the following
Monday.
     * The Bloomington Stock Center now has a cost-recovery
program.  Minimal users of the stock center are not required to
contribute to the center, but all users must be registered with
the center and provide their Bloomington User Number (BUN) when
requesting stocks.  Send e-mail to matthewk at indiana.edu for more
information on this program.
***

POSITIONS AVAILABLE AT INSTITUTE OF ECOLOGICAL GENETICS
     This is to inform you of the existence of a brand new
Institute of Ecological Genetics to study Amazonian biodiversity.
For further information write to:
     Dr. Hugo Hoenigsberg
     Instituto de Genetica-Ecologica y Biodiversidad Amazonica
     Cra.4 No.71-69
     Bogota D.C.COLOMBIA.
     FAX: 612 7369
You can send your C.V. to our personal address above.  We are
considering applications to fill posts as research scientific
staff members.  Evolutionary biologists, geneticists, ecologists,
systematist, botanists, zoologists, mathematicians and other
Ph.D. individuals interested in neo-tropical biological research
with at least 10 years of research experience preferably, but not
exclusively, in the tropics, and about 10 published scientific
papers will be considered.  This new Institute will study
Amazonian biodiversity.  Although its main purpose is research it
will by inclination help, not only to preserve the Amazonian
biodiversity, but also to disseminate the gospel of international
management of the most wonderful world natural reserve for which
it is worth to dedicate one's life.  There will also be graduate
degrees to be dealt with.  For academic life within the
Institute, please contact the Rector of the Amazonian University
as follows:
     Dr. Ernesto Fajardo
     Universidad de la Amazonia
     Florencia, Caqueta
     Colombia.
     FAX: (988 35) 8231
Florencia is the capital of the State of Caqueta, and Caqueta is
one of the three Amazonian States of Colombia.  We will be
working closely with Peruvian and Brazilian scientists interested
in Amazonian biodiversity.  Our Central offices and research labs
will be in Florencia's surroundings.
***

DEMEREC'S BIOLOGY OF DROSOPHILA
     Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press has published a
facsimile edition of Demerec's classic on BIOLOGY OF DROSOPHILA.
It was first published by John Wiley and Sons in 1950.  Until its
appearance, no central, synthesized source of biological data on
Drosophila melanogaster was available, despite the fly's
importance to science for three decades.  Ten years in the
making, it was an immediate success and remained in print for two
decades.  However, original copies are now very hard to find.

CONTENTS
*Normal Spermatogenesis in Drosophila (K.W. Cooper)
*The Early Embryology of D. melanogaster (B.P. Sonnenblick)
*Histogenesis, Organogenesis, and Differentiation in the Embryo
 of D. melanogaster Meigen (D.F. Poulson)
*The Postembryonic Development of Drosophila (D. Bodenstein)
*External Morphology of the Adult (G.F. Ferris)
*The Internal Anatomy and Histology of the Imago of D.
 melanogaster (A. Miller)
*Collection and Laboratory Culture (W.P. Spencer)

632 pp., illus., indexes, ISBN 09-87969-441-6; Cloth $39
To place an order, contact Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press at
cshpress at cshl.org, or phone 1-800-843-4388, or fax them at
516-349-1946.
***

REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS

GENETIC MATERIALS IN 51B-C
Michele Crozatier, Centre de Biologie du Developpement, Batiment
4R3, 118, route de Narbonne, 31062 Toulouse, France. Tel: (33)
61.55.82.87, Fax: (33) 61.55.65.07, Email: seroude at cict.fr.
     I am looking for deficiencies, P insertions or chromosome
aberrations in 51B6-C3. Thanks in advance for your help.
***

CALL FOR STRUCTURAL DATA ON NERVOUS SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT
Karl-Friedrich Fischbach, Institut fur Biologie III, Schanzlestr.
1, 79104 Freiburg i. Brsg., Germany.
kff at sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de; 0761-203-2730, Fax: 0761-203-2745.
     Many Drosophila labs have started or are planning to provide
useful information in www.  Without well organized linking knots,
this information is somewhat chaotically distributed and not so
easy to access.  Therefore, we plan to build such a knot with
regard to nervous system development, first of all for our own
use, but - due to the nature of www - this should be usable by
the whole Drosophila community.
     We shall enter in 1995 as much of our own data as possible
(some copyright problems have to be solved and conflict with
conventional publishing to be avoided).  Our emphasis will be on
the optic lobe and its larval and pupal development.  These data
will be crosslinked to the structural data given free by your
lab.  Thus a decentralised international dataweb about the
development of the fly's nervous system will evolve.  This
undertaking differs from, but is not in conflict with, the
Drosophila Brain Database just launched by Nick Strausfeld and
Kim Kaiser; it will rather heavily rely on many crosslinks to
this database.  Entries in the Tucson-Glasgow Drosophila Brain
Database will be carefully checked by an oversight group, while
we shall simply list www-links under appropriate headings.  In
order to minimise electronic traffic on our local computer net,
and in order to maximise speed for your own data retrieval, we
would welcome, if  you download those links to your own system.

If you want to participate, E-mail your www-homepage and/or any
comment to kff at sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de.  Our www-homepage is:
http://deep-thought.biologie.uni-freiburg.de/data/kff.html
***

ATLAS OF AN INSECT BRAIN
Katsuo Furukubo-Tokunaga, Zoological Institute, Univ. Basel,
Rheinsprung 9, CH-4051 Basel, Switzerland.  E-mail:
tokunagak at ubaclu.unibas.ch.
     Looking for one or two copies of the brain anatomy book
ATLAS OF AN INSECT BRAIN (N.J. Strausfeld, Springer-Verlag) for
educational purpose.  If you have this book only to fill your
book shelf, please contact me before you start to think about
cleaning up the space.  Thank you.
***

REPRINTS/PREPRINTS ON DEVELOPMENT, GENETICS & EVOLUTION
Richard Gordon, Department of Radiology, University of Manitoba,
ON104, Health Sciences Centre, 820 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg,
Manitoba, Canada R3A 1R9.  E-mail: gordonr at cc.umanitoba.ca, Fax:
(204) 783-8565.
     I am finishing a book about the intersection of three major
fields of biology:  Gordon, R. (1995). The Hierarchical Genome
and Differentiation Waves: Novel Unification of Development,
Genetics, and Evolution  (Singapore: World Scientific), in prep.
     If your work might be relevant to this review, I would
appreciate reprints or preprints (mailed to the address above) as
soon as possible, or an update, if I've been in contact with you
previously.  Thanks for your help.  Please be sure to send your
e-mail address, in case I have any questions.
     If you are curious, condensed accounts are given in:
Gordon, R. & G.W. Brodland (1987).  Cell Biophysics 11,  177-238.
Gordon, R. (1993). In: Beysens, D., N. Boccara & G. Forgacs, eds.
Dynamical Phenomena at Interfaces, Surfaces and Membranes.
Commack, N.Y.: NOVA Science Publishers, 99-111.
Gordon, R., N. K. Bjorklund & P. D. Nieuwkoop (1994).  Int. Rev.
Cytol. 150, 373-420.
Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1994).  Computers & Chemistry
18(3), 333-345.
***