Diet

Chris Driver drierac at deakin.edu.au
Mon Jan 23 13:16:57 EST 1995

Does anyone have any ideas on what Drosophila melanogaster and simulans eat in
the wild, if eat is the right word. I would really like something better than
fermenting juices of whatever and yeast of uncertain taxonomy. The data I have
seen is not particularly explicit in terms of specific nutrients, and one
has to make some assumptions. I imagine that the diet is higher in alcohol
than the laboratory diet, probably higher in fat, and may well be very low in
available carbohydrate.
Chris Driver, Ph D
School of Biology and Chemistry, Rusden Campus
Deakin University
662 Blackburn Rd
Clayton, VIC, 3168
AUSTRALIA