FW: Instant Media

William J. Etges wetges at COMP.UARK.EDU
Wed Jan 25 09:50:50 EST 1995

At  7:46 PM 24/1/95 -0800, Fidler, Andrew wrote:
> ----------
>From: Fidler, Andrew
>To: Drosophila
>Subject: Instant Media
>Date: Friday, 20 January 1995 12:39PM
>
>I am trying to produce an instant media for use in secondary school biology
>class.... one of these "just add water" type of mixes.  The problem I'm
>facing is with the fungicide.... the fungicide I have been using,
>methylparaben, is not soluble in cold water and so isn't really suitable.
> Can anyone suggest an altenative that is readily water soluble?

One can also use proprionic acid at a final concentration (once the food is
made) of ca.0.5 %. Thus you could make a 0.5% of sterilized distilled water
to add to the dry materials. Just make sure you try it out first.

Bill

William J. Etges                                "I wish the Bald Eagle
Department of Biol. Sciences            had not been chosen
University of Arkansas                      as the Representative
Fayetteville, AR 72701  USA            of our country! The
wetges at comp.uark.edu                   Turkey is a much more
voice: (501) 575-6358                       respectable Bird,
FAX   (501) 575-4010                        and withal a true
                                                           native of America."

                                                   -Benjamin Franklin, from a
                                                   letter to his daughter.