drosophila telomeres and recombination

Jim Mason mason_j at niehs.nih.gov
Fri Jul 7 07:57:27 EST 1995

Meiotic recombination per unit length of chromosome is generally
increased in distal regions. This, however, has been attributed to a
"centromere effect", not an effect of telomeres (Beadle, PNAS
18:160-165, 1932; Mather, Genetics 24:413-435, 1939). Further, most
recombination-defective meiotic mutants have stronger effects distally,
so that the distribution of exchanges is more nearly random along a
chromosome arm (reviewed by Baker et al., Ann Rev Genet 10: 53-134,
1976; Baker & Hall, The Genetics and Biology of Drosophila 1a: 351-434,
1976). On the other hand, there is a very localized decrease in
recombination next to the centromere. Recent work in this area has been
by Chuck Langley, UC Davis, and Chip Aquadro, Cornell.jjc4 at po.CWRU.Edu