video grabbing

Thu Jun 8 17:30:41 EST 1995

In article <3r65ku$ric at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, FLIES at myia.imbb.forth.gr wrote:

> This is a question for the computer buffs among the drosophilists.  We at the
> IMBB want to hook an old (but perfectly working) Mac IIx to our video display
> so that we can get microscope images stored directly in the computer for
> further processing.  Our local Apple dealer says that the cheapest video
> grabbing card that he could find costs the equivalent of 4000 US$.  Obviously
> for this price one can buy a new computer that can do this without further
> add-ons (e.g. AV).  Does anyone of you have any experience with such a matter,
> and if yes (and cheaper!), could we have some advice?
> Thanks in advance,
> Kitsos Louis

Try a gopher (or Web) search for NIH IMAGE.  This program is also resident
in many of the MAC archives.  IMAGE is a freeware program written by NIH
used in conjunction with a framegrabber to analyse images.  The README that
comes with the program suggests appropriate framegrabbers which are much
cheaper than what your dealer suggests.  Good Luck.  Tony Long