Drosophila faculty

Alan C. Christensen, Ph.D. achristensen at CRCVMS.UNL.EDU
Fri Jun 16 14:07:33 EST 1995

In discussions of faculty hiring priorities, no doubt many of you have
heard comments such as "We already have enough Drosophila labs here".
Naturally, we all realize that Drosophila is not a field but an organism,
and that Drosophilists come in an impressive array of fields, but our less
enlightened colleagues don't often realize that (for example) a person
working on transcription factors in Drosophila and a person doing
population genetics with Drosophila are not actually working on the same
thing, and that a developmental geneticist working on Drosophila would
actually broaden and strengthen a Department rather than being redundant.

So my question is simple:  What arguments have been successfully used to
persuade a diverse group of biologists (including ecologists,
parasitologists, plant biochemists, etc.etc.) that another Drosophila
faculty hire is actually a good idea?

I would also like to collect information on various Departments around the
U.S. and list how many of the faculty work on Drosophila, in order to
demonstrate that a group of 3 or more P.I.s is actually healthy.

Please e-mail responses to me.  If anyone is also interested in knowing
what the responses are I can share them or post a compilation.

* Alan C. Christensen, Ph.D.          "...there are those rare  *
* School of Biological Sciences        characters who study the *
* University of Nebraska               unknown product of an    *
* Lincoln, NE 68588-0118               unknown gene.  These we  *
* Phone 402-472-0681                   call lunatics."          *
* FAX 402-472-2083                            -Sidney Brenner   *