Ultrasonic Frequencies...

Gerald Pollack gpollack at bio1.lan.mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 21 17:19:32 EST 1995

In article <3s7fvj$qjc at fidoii.cc.lehigh.edu> jhs2 at lehigh.edu writes:
>From: jhs2 at lehigh.edu
>Subject: Ultrasonic Frequencies...
>Date: Sun, 18 Jun 95 17:51:29

>I'm looking for ultrasonic frequencies that could be used to deter the presence
>of flies.  Any help would be appreciated.  Please reply to jhs2 at lehigh.edu.
>Thank you, Joe Schwendt.
Although ultrasonic sensitivity has been reported for one group of flies, most
can only hear relatively low sound frequencies, in the range of a few
hundred Hz, and that only at very close range (these
restrictions have to do with the fact that most flies don't have bona fide
ears, i.e. devices for detecting rapid variations in air pressure, but instead
have sensory structures that detect movements of air particles, i.e.
oscillating winds). Those flies that can hear ultrasound probably use this to
avoid being eaten by bats, which use ultrasound to detect prey. Different bats
use different frequencies, but a good ballpark range is 20-50 kHz.