Inexpensive agar?

William J. Etges wetges at COMP.UARK.EDU
Mon Jun 26 16:09:56 EST 1995

At  3:54 PM 26/6/95 +0100, William J. Etges wrote:
>At  2:04 PM 25/6/95 -0400, Chris Boake wrote:
>>Can anyone recommend a source of inexpensive agar to be used in making
>>fly food?  (A U.S. supplier would be the most useful.)  It irritates me
>>to have to pay for highly refined stuff when all it is is a glue to keep
>>the real food from being sloppy.
>>--Chris Boake
>

>Chris,
>                The Genetics Society of America arranged a deal through
>American Biorganics, Inc. for fly agar and other reagents. The agar can be
>purchased through GSA if you're a member. There are many different kinds of
>agar at a variety of prices, down to $32.66 for 25 kg. Other than that,  Bill
>Geer put me onto a place called Moorhead Co. in California that sold me a 25
>lb can of quality agar for about ca. $300. Its good stuff. I'll have to find
>the address if you're interested.
>
>Bill

Chris,
                That price of $32.66 is per kilogram. Sorry.

Bill

William J. Etges
Department of Biological Sciences
SCEN 629
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701  USA
wetges at comp.uark.edu
http://comp.uark.edu/~bioinfo/etges.html
voice: (501) 575-6358
FAX   (501) 575-4010

 Her teeth was stained, but her heart was pure.
................title of a country and western song.