Inexpensive agar?

William J. Etges wetges at COMP.UARK.EDU
Mon Jun 26 16:04:23 EST 1995

At  2:04 PM 25/6/95 -0400, Chris Boake wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a source of inexpensive agar to be used in making
>fly food?  (A U.S. supplier would be the most useful.)  It irritates me
>to have to pay for highly refined stuff when all it is is a glue to keep
>the real food from being sloppy.
>--Chris Boake

                The Genetics Society of America arranged a deal through
American Biorganics, Inc. for fly agar and other reagents. The agar can be
purchased through GSA if you're a member. There are many different kinds of
agar at a variety of prices, down to $32.66 for 25 kg. Other than that,
Bill Geer put me onto a place called Moorhead Co. in California that sold
me a 25 lb can of quality agar for about ca. $300. Its good stuff. I'll
have to find the address if you're interested.

William J. Etges
Department of Biological Sciences
SCEN 629
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701  USA
wetges at
voice: (501) 575-6358
FAX   (501) 575-4010

 Her teeth was stained, but her heart was pure.
................title of a country and western song.