vitelline removal

Udolph, Gerald udolph at vzdmza.zdv.uni-mainz.de
Thu Jun 29 02:23:14 EST 1995

In article <9506280650.AA14752 at luxor.latrobe.edu.au>,
gendjc at LUXOR.LATROBE.EDU.AU wrote:

> (sorry if this is a repeat. We've been having a spot of bother)
>
> Hi all,
>         I'm having fearful trouble removing the vitelline membrane from
> D. serrata (melanogaster group) embryos. Simulans is fine. I'm shaking in
> a 50/50 soln of n-heptane and 80% ethanol. If I use 100% methanol it
> makes no difference. I get very few falling out of the organic layer.
> Any suggestions?
>
> thanks
>
> David Clancy
> genetics
> la Trobe Uni.
> Melbourne, Australia

Hi David,

for D. melanogaster we use a combination of 50 % Heptane and 50% methanol
after fixation in an Eppendorf tube. First add the 500 µl heptane and than
the methanol. Shake for 30 seconds (we use a vortex). Devitelinized embryos
will sink down. Maybe this procedure works with your flies.

Good luck,

Gerald