eye colour mutants

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 29 09:15:02 EST 1995

In article <fidlera.5.00109325 at waltec.warc.cri.nz>,
Andrew Fidler <fidlera at waltec.warc.cri.nz> wrote:
>A basic question for hard core fly people... could someone suggest a text
>(undergraduate level) that describes the biochemical pathways for the
>synthesis of the various fly eye pigments and relates the enzymes involved to
>various mutant alleles (esp.  sepia and scarlet eye).
	The ground-state answer for all Drosophila questions these days
	is "look at the big grey book by Ashburner."

	The induced-state answer for this question is: start with a standard
	biochemistry book & find the section concerning aromatic-compound
	metabolism; you're looking for the pteridine and ommochrome pathways.
	Also bear in mind that fly eye pigmentation mutations can affect
	either pigment biosynthesis per se, or pigment transport &
	accumulation in the eye.

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright 1995 (c)