painting drosophila

Chris Boake boake at
Wed Nov 1 15:54:40 EST 1995

>("Laurence D. MUELLER") wrote:
>>    I am not an artist but rather am interested to hear if anyone has
>>    had success permanantly marking individual flies with paint or
>>    some other substance.

I have used Testor's model paints successfully with a variety of
insects.  You'll need to practice for a while to get the correct
drop size and tackiness of the paint.  Suitable applicators include
pointy toothpicks and some insect pins.  Some behavioral biologists
have probably painted little bitty flies; check references in behavioral
journals.  I can't recall a citation offhand, but you could try papers
by T. Markow or L. Partridge.