A new Drosophila WWW Server

jacq at LGPD.UNIV-MRS.FR jacq at LGPD.UNIV-MRS.FR
Sat Nov 4 14:51:42 EST 1995

Dear Electronic Drosophilists,

We have the pleasure to announce the official release of GIFTS (Gene
Interactions in the Fly Trans-world Server), a new WWW server mainly devoted to
topics related to gene interactions in Drosophila. This server will
progressively propose different services, databases, tools ... related to this
research area and connected ones.
  At the moment, the GIFTS server proposes to you an access to the GIF_DB
database (Gene Interactions in the Fly database), a new, fully annotated, fully
referenced database of gene interactions involved in Drosophila pattern
formation. In GIF_DB, the data (captured from the literature) are structured
into an EMBL- (or SWISS_PROT-) like format, readable both by humans and
computers. This database already offers hyper-links towards Flybase, EMBL and
SWISS-Prot databases and more are planned in the future. Release 1.2 of the GIF
database is presently accessible from this server.

The GIFTS server has been created and is presently maintained by a group of
people in the Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, CNRS
Marseille, FRANCE, under the scientific direction of Bernard JACQ.

For people having an Internet connection and a WWW browser (the majority, we
hope), Our server can be reached at the following URL:

http://www-biol.univ-mrs.fr/~lgpd/GIFTS_home_page.html

For people who do not have access to WWW browsers, but nevertheless have an
Internet connection, please drop a line to Bernard JACQ (jacq at lgpd.univ-mrs.fr).
If several people are in this case, we will prepare a text-only version of the
database.

This new server will be funded for the next two years, but feedback from users
will be essential for its maintenance and development. We therefore hope that
people will find this new server an interesting place and the GIF database a
useful tool for their research. Let us say that for people who are not involved
in Drosophila pattern formation research (sadly, a majority of you!), the
launching of a new interaction database (less annotated, but more general) is
scheduled for the end of the year. Do not hesitate to react to the GIFTS server
(applauses, screams, suggestions, encouragements, yes but, ...., are welcome) !

We hope you will enjoy the GIFTS ... WWW Server.

  Sincerely,

Bernard JACQ, Florence HORN and Florence JANODY

Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement
Parc scientifique de Luminy
CNRS Case 907
13288 Marseille cedex 9
FRANCE