allergies

Mary Ellen Lane lane at gen.mpib-tuebingen.mpg.de
Fri Nov 10 07:03:32 EST 1995

HI
i'm wondering if there is anyone out there who knows anything about allergies
against drosophila.  I've seen the statistic in Ashburner (and have had it
quoted to me on many occassions but I HaVE never met anyone who claimed to
suffer form one.  My questions are
Is there a simple test one can do to determine whether the allergy is against
the flies themselves or just against something avoidable like the cotton wool
or something inthe media?
Are there practical solutions, other than drugs or desensitization?
I'd love to know what other people do about this.  Also, does this type of
thing tend to get better or worse with time?
Thanks
Mary Ellen