Drosophila sequences

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Thu Nov 16 08:09:55 EST 1995

GenBank, EMBL, and DDBJ are primary points of publication for
sequences these days -- they collect the sequence direct from
investigators, frequently before/instead of publication of a report
in print journals.

But if you are looking for ways to search just Drosophila sequences
after they have been published in GenBank and its relatives, that
can be done.

At IUBio Archive, there is a current copy of GenBank that can
be searched by keywords.  If you use the word Drosophila in the
Organism field you will select only the Drosophila subset of sequences,
some 7000+ now.

Use http or gopher Internet methods to reach iubio.bio.indiana.edu
(e.g., http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/).  See the Genbank-Sequences
section and the SRS section at this server, for keyword searches.

If you wish to do a similarity search of your sequence against only
drosophila sequences, that can be done using FastA at
   http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu:81/srsfasta/

You can also find a list of cross-references from the FlyBase
data to other databases including GenBank, in this area:
  http://flybase.bio.indiana.edu:82/1/extdb
  (also available via ftp and gopher)

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu